Re-Sklinning a QAJAQ
Yes, I spelled it correctly – in Greenland. A couple of weeks ago I had the chance to help reskin an old Qajaq. This is about the 4th skin on this frame,. the owner isn’t really sure how many it’s had before. That’s understandable when you see the rack of SOF (Skin On Frame) boats in his back yard. I spent more time working than taking photos and videos but here goes.
In the shop
The first step was to lay 6-oz Dacron over the upturned hull, and sew a pocket in the ends to hold the it tight while we worked on getting it positioned correctly, or at least close. We stapled the fabric every inch or so on the bow and stern cut-waters. We removed these staples once we finished the next couple steps – pinning the skin.
Then we righted the boat, and while one of us pulled the fabric tight the other one of us put pins the length of the gunnel, another 18-feet on each side, that’s a lot of pinning. I’m not sure I want to see a push-pin for quite a while.
Here is a shot showing the end of the “running Stitch”, the first step in sewing the fabric
Almost finished, Outdoors now
Outdoors, after all the stiching, and caulking the seams. The next, and final step it to paint the hull. The paint will seal the boat and keep the paddler dry. The owner finished stitching and installed the cockpt combing when I wasn’t around, then he moved it outdoors
As soon as I see it in the water I’ll get some photos, and may be a video of this old boat in its proper environment.